Sunday, March 9, 2014

Putting myself in my clients' shoes

I feel like I am able to put myself in my clients' shoes on a regular basis. Being self-employed is like being in a job search every day. As a career coach I need to continually be on the look out for new opportunities, whether it's for an individual coaching client, a contract with an organization looking for independent coaches to provide services to their clients or candidates, or an opportunity to present a workshop.

One of the most important activities for job seekers and self-employed career coaches is networking. I know very well how important your network is to your success. I landed contracts with two outplacement agencies (who work with laid-off or down-sized employees) and two of the heavy hitters in the job board industry- both CareerBuilder and Monster- through my network. I also landed a lucrative speaking gig through my network.

Just like my clients, I need to be prepared to give my elevator pitch when in a networking situation or basically any situation. I also need to have business cards with me wherever I go, even my local YMCA. You just never know who you will run into and what opportunities you may uncover.

I feel comfortable when challenging a client to get out of his or her comfort zone and try something new, after all, I have probably done the same thing myself- and lived to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment