Wednesday, October 2, 2013

What I learned about myself in Tahiti

Last week I returned from my honeymoon in Tahiti staying on two islands- Bora Bora and Moorea. What a absolutely beautiful and magical place!

Many of the people that live and work on the islands are either native Tahitians or natives of France. Since Tahiti is French Polynesia, it's easy for the French to work on any of the islands of Tahiti. The manager of the hotel we stayed at in Bora Bora, a native of France, has lived on that island for 15 years. Since she was a child, she always dreamed of living there. I asked what she does when not working and she said she does what visitors do, kayaks and snorkels. There are no shopping malls. If she wants to purchase any clothing other than a swimsuit or pareo (sarong), she shops "back home" in France when she visits family there once a year. Although, she said, "I wear my uniform at work and on my off-time I'm usually in my swimsuit." What a nice lifestyle!

What did I learn about myself during this experience? It's good to totally unplug occasionally. I didn't check my email at all while in Tahiti. It felt so freeing- and I was able to be totally present! I usually go 100 miles an hour and I learned it's good to slow down once in awhile. While on the island of Moorea, at least twice a day. I just reclined on a patio chair and watched the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment