Saturday, February 8, 2014

Are You an Olympian in Your Career?

I always look forward to watching the Olympics and this year is no exception. I admire the passion and dedication the athletes have for their particular sport [career]. Are you passionate and dedicated about your career? If not, what steps can you take to become a career conqueror? The following will help you assess how effectively you are managing your career and what areas could use some work. Rate yourself in each area on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being high. Add up your score and see where you at in the scoring key below.


                  10 Keys to Becoming a Career Conqueror

                                                          Item
Rating
(1-10 Scale)


1.  Vision:
        (I have a system or conceptual framework that allows me to look forward and be open and available to intersect who I am with new opportunities. I know how I want to contribute to my corner of the world as a result of my work. I have sketched out goals that align with the current vision for my life. I regularly review this vision, modify it as new opportunities become apparent, and make choices to act in a manner that moves me forward in my work and life.)

2.  Brand:
      (I am in tune with who I am and actively enlarging my perception of who I am becoming. My self-worth is not solely linked to my work but is rooted in living in harmony with my values and priorities. I am passionate about and well-known for a set of strengths, talents, and knowledge that are in market demand. There are role models in my work-life whom I admire, and, as appropriate, I emulate their attributes and actions that will be important to my ongoing success.)

3.  Networked:
      (I have a healthy Rolodex/contact list and have a high level of trust with these people. I am on the radar screen of, and make meaningful contributions to, people who could be influential to my career. I attend association conferences and other events that will expand and reinforce my network.)


4.  ROI:
        (I understand employer's needs for a return on investment [ROI] and act in a manner that contributes to that ROI. I track performance metrics and know the ROI I offer employers.)

5.  Lifelong Learning:
        (I am continually adding new skills, knowledge, certifications, or degrees that enable me to contribute greater value to my employer, as well as keep me motivated and engaged. I stretch myself by asking for or accepting new projects that will increase my experience and value.)

6.  Emotional Intelligence:
        (I communicate and relate exceptionally with supervisors, peers, employees, customers. I know the key players in my organization/industry and am considered a team player. I am aware of my "emotional intelligence" as it relates to perceiving, understanding, and managing emotions. I have a reputation as someone who is stable and doesn't need to be treated with "kid gloves.")


7.  Self-Accountable:
         (I am personally in charge of inspiring myself, making change happen, staying positive, and taking action. No one/nothing keeps me from success, other than my own self-imposed beliefs, which I am committed to examining regularly and breaking through to reach higher heights!)

8.  Self-Initiated Training:
         (I have created and am pursuing my own personal/professional development plan.)

9.  Time Management:
         (I manage time and energy well. My time and thoughts are not consumed by activities that do not support my goals.)

10. Support:    
         (I surround myself with supportive people—coach, mentors, peers, friends—and carefully limit my contact with “energy-draining” people.)

©Career Coach Academy ▪.Pathways Career Success Strategies, LLC

Scoring Key:
If you scored....
90 - 100 - Your career is in great shape. And, if you needed to, you'd likely be able to find a new job within the next 60 days.
80 - 90   - You're well on your way to successfully managing your career - congratulations on your diligence to date.
70 - 80   -  You've probably got a lot of things in place that you can build on.
70 or below - You'd be amazed in the turnaround you can make even in the next 2-3 months by setting goals and creating action steps in the key areas that need work.

So,...what steps are you willing to take to become a career conqueror?

No comments:

Post a Comment