Sunday, February 23, 2014

Handling objections during your job search

I recently picked up a copy of "Knock 'em Dead: The Ultimate Job Search Guide 2014" by Martin Yate, CPC.  The book includes a section dedicated to handling objections, which many job seekers face. I picked a three of the ones I hear most often from my coaching clients:

Objection: "Why don't you send me a resume?"

Response: "Of course, Mr. Grant. Would you give me your exact title and your email address?" Thank you. So that I can be sure that my qualifications fit your needs, what skills are you looking for in this position?"
___________________________________________________

Objection: "You'll have to talk with Human Resources."

Response: "Of course, Mr. grant. Whom should I speak to in HR, and what specific position should I mention?"

Then...

"Good morning, Ms. Johnson. Cary Grant, over in marketing, suggested we should speak to arrange an interview for the open sales associate position."
___________________________________________________

Objection: "I really wanted someone with a degree."

Response: "Mr. Smith, I appreciate your viewpoint. It was necessary that I start earning a living early
in life. If we meet, I am certain you would recognize the value of my additional practical experience."

Try out the above responses if you encounter any of these objections.

No comments:

Post a Comment